- Program is 32 sessions - 16 class lectures and 16 in-car sessions with 6 hours behind the wheel. You must attend all 32 sessions to receive your certificate.
- You must pass the course in order to receive a course completion certificate.
- This program teachers students proper techniques, laws, and responsibilities pertaining to driving in New York State. The course provides 48 hours of instruction as mandated by New York state, certified instructors, and the 5-hour NYS Pre-licensing Certification.
- Upon passing & full completion of the entire course, students will receive an MV-285 (Course Completion Certificate) from the district in the mail approximately 4 weeks later. This provides a 10-15% premium insurance discount by most insurance companies, and a Class D (senior) driver's license at age 17 (upon passing the NY State road test & submitting the MV-285 to the Department of Motor Vehicles).
- Attendance at all lecture classes an in-car sessions is MANDATORY. All missed classes must be made up. Per NYS DMV guidelines, absences must be made up at the next session. In-car absences will carry an additional charge of $20 per student, per in-car session that needs to be made up. More than 4 absences may be cause for the student to be dismissed from the course. Make up road hours will be made for excused absences only (illness with doctors note or family emergency.)
- A parent or legal guardian MUST ATTEND the orientation with the student in order for the student to be accepted into the program.
- Before enrolling, please consider your other time commitments that might interfere with your full participation in this program (i.e. sports, after school activities, employment, and academic responsibilities). No refunds will be given after in-car assignments have been made at the orientation.
- Spring registration is now open.
- The online application must be completed by a parent or guardian.
- Please note: If a student is not yet 16, but will turn 16 prior to the start of the first class you may submit the student's application without the permit. Please enter "permit pending" in place of the permit number. You MUST send a copy of the permit to the high school office once the student obtains it. Failure to do so will result in a delay of the student's 5-hour certificate and completion certificate. Students must have a permit prior to the first class.
- Enrollment is limited and will be processed on a first-come/first-serve basis.
- Once completing the online registration, your check should be delivered to the high school office. Your application will not be considered complete until payment is received.
- For more information, please contact the high school office at x220
- When will I get my 5-hour pre-licensing certificate (MV-278)?
- How long is my MV-278 pre-licensing certificate valid?
- When will I get my driver education completion certificate (MV-285)?
- How long is my MV-285 driver education certificate valid?
- How do I get my insurance discount
- What if I lose my MV-285 certificate?
- What do I need to have before I schedule my road test?
- How do I schedule my road test?
- Is driver education held on days that school is closed?
- What about cancellations due to weather or unforeseen circumstances?
- What should I do if I have an emergency and need to miss a lecture class or in-car driving session?
- How do I convert my junior license to a senior license with driver education?
- A valid NYS learner's permit – it must be valid on the date you make the appointment & on the date you take your road test. For practice questions & more information on getting your learner's permit, visit: http://dmv-permit-test.com/new-york/practice-test-1.html
- A valid MV-278 pre-licensing certificate or valid MV-285 driver education certificate – the MV-278 or the MV-285 must be valid at the time you schedule your road test, but can be expired on the date of your road test.
- If you are under 18, your road test must be scheduled at least 6 months after the date your permit was issued. If you are age 17, have completed driver education, and have a valid MV-285 driver education certificate, this is not required.
- A completed MV-262 (Certification of Supervised Driving) form – if you are under 18 you must have a minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving before your road test with at least 15 hours at night (after sunset). You must bring the MV-262 completed by your parent or guardian to certify that you have the required hours of supervised practice driving. You do not need the the driving school or instructor to certify & sign this form. Your MV-285 signifies that you received 6 hours behind the wheel in a state-approved program.
- Link to MV-262: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv262.pdf
If schools are closed due weather or other unforeseen circumstances, driver education classes or driving sessions will not be held. If after school activities are canceled, driver education classes and driving sessions will also be canceled. Make-ups classes will be scheduled.
Should you be scheduled for a Saturday in-car session, your will be notified of weather cancellations directly by your driving instructor.
If you have a Class DJ junior license and you complete a driver education course, you can change your Class DJ junior license to a Class D senior license when you are 17 years old.
To change the class of your driver license you must have a MV-285 Driver Education Completion Certificate.
Before Taking Road Test
If you have not taken your road test yet, give your MV-285 Driver Education Completion Certificate to the DMV examiner after your road test. The DMV will update your driver record and will automatically issue a Class D photo driver license on your 17th birthday. You will receive the new driver license in the mail within 2 weeks of your 17th birthday. There is no fee when you change the class of your driver license through this method. Your driver license record will show that you are a Class D driver. You do not need to have your Class D document to drive as a senior license driver. You can drive on your 17th birthday.
After Taking Road Test
If you did not have your MV-285 Driver Education Completion Certificate when taking your road test, you must go to a DMV office to change your license class. Bring your class DJ driver license and the MV-285 to a DMV office on your 17th birthday or any following day. Complete form MV-44, and pay the $12.50 fee. You will receive a temporary Class D driver license, without a photo, at the office. The DMV will then mail your Class D photo driver license in approximately two weeks.
Link to MV-44: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv44.pdf